IPU was built in 1905 by Fredrikstad Mek. Verkstad at Fredrikstad with a tonnage of 686grt, a length of 191ft 1in, a beam of 33ft 1in and a service speed of 10 knots.
She was built as the coastal cargo vessel Ipu for Empreza de Nav. Lorentzen of Para in Brazil and acquired by Union-Castle in 1915 for service at Beira.
Sold to Glendinning Steamship Co. of London in 1923 she was renamed Chyko and in February 1925 was wrecked after stranding.
A watercolour by Owen Keen