During her second voyage she damaged her rudder when she grounded in Delagoa Bay necessitating repairs at Prince Edward Dock, Durban.
On completion of that voyage she was requisitioned for use as an Armed Merchant Cruiser being fitted with eight 6 inch guns together with AA and machine guns.
With a black hull and buff upper works and funnel she was commissioned in the November and based at Freetown in Sierra Leone.
In 1942 she was replaced by one of the new light cruisers and sold to the Admiralty for conversion into an aircraft carrier. With fifteen aircraft and equipped with one catapult she was commissioned on 18th March 1943 but was used purely for training purposes. The conversion took place at Swan Hunters on the Tyne.
She was re-purchased by Union-Castle in January 1946 and rebuilt to her original specification but, because a new mail ship was under construction with Pretoria Castle as her designated name, she was renamed Warwick Castle.
Small watercolour of Pretoria Castle in 3 Guises
Taken up by the Admiralty and converted first to an Armed Merchant Cruiser, and later to an Escort Carrier.
She spent most of her time as the Trials Carrier for development of Naval Aircraft and flight deck operations.
She was returned to her original configuration and re named Warwick Castle.