Clan Cumming (1)
26.1.1899 launched, 3.1899 completed by Vickers, Sons and Maxim Lid., Barrow Yard No. 268 for The Clan Line Steamers Ltd. ( Cayzer, Irvine & Co.), Glasgow.
5.11.1917 torpedoed and damaged by a German submarine 20 miles SW. of the Lizard whilst on a voyage from Baltimore to Brest with a cargo of copper, steel and timber.
Towed to Falmouth and beached. Subsequently refloated, repaired and returned to service.
1925 sold to Soc. Anon. Cantiere Olivo, Italy, and renamed ETTORE.
1927 sold to Tito Campanella S.A., Italy, and renamed ELISA CAMPANELLA.
1932 sold to shipbreakers.
Falmouth Cemetery contains 86 First World War burials, including those of two unidentified firemen from the S.S. "Clan Cumming", attacked by German submarine in the English Channel on 5 November 1917, with the loss of 13 lives.