STIRLING CASTLE (2) was built in 1936 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 25550grt, a length of 696ft, a beam of 82ft 5in and a service speed of 20 knots.
She was launched on 15th July 1935 by Mrs Robertson Gibb, wife of the Chairman, and sailed on her maiden voyage on 7th February 1936.
She completed her first voyage in the scheduled time of 16 days 15 hrs but, capable of 21 knots if required, did the run in 13 days 9hrs in the following August and beat the record established by Union's Scot in 1893.
In 1940 she was requisitioned for troopship duties capable of carrying 6000 persons eating and sleeping in two sessions, a capacity which was occasionally reached.
In 1941 she was kept on 7 day standby, as part of a 12,000 strong force, in case it became necessary to occupy the Azores and/or the Canary Islands and in 1943 carried troops from the US to the UK as part of Operation Bolero in readiness for the D-Day landings.
Her virtually trouble free war service ended in 1945 having steamed over 500,000 miles and carrying 128,000 troops. She was finally released in 1946 and underwent a refit before returning to the mail run in 1947.
In 1966 she was sold for scrap, realising £360,000, and arrived at Mihara, Japan on 3rd March for breaking up by Nichimen K.K.
Landing US Troops
Artist - Frank H Mason
Stirling Castle outward bound passing The Needles
Artist - Robert Lloyd
Water Colour by Tony Westmore
Wartime Movements of Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle Art Gallery
Arriving Melbourne with homecoming Australian Forces
British Lions Tour of South Africa - 1938
The players and officials of British Rugby Team depart from Southampton
As portrayed on the front covers of the South African Shipping News magazine.
Artist - Unknown
The Building of Stirling Castle
9th October 1935: Shipyard workers constructing the funnel for the new liner, the 'Stirling Castle', on the quay at Belfast's Harland and Wolff shipyard
29th October 1935: Shipyard workers at Belfast's Harland and Wolff shipyard, watch as a crane hoists the top portion of the rudder for the new liner, into place