PEMBROKE CASTLE (2) was built in 1883 by Barrow Shipbuilding Co. at Barrow-in-Furness with a tonnage of 3936grt, a length of 400ft 2in, a beam of 42ft 7in and a service speed of 12 knots.
She was actually purchased on the stocks, the only vessel built away from the Clyde prior to the merger, the first four masted steamship and the largest ship in the fleet at the time.
On completion in July 1883 she undertook a shakedown cruise carrying dignitaries around Britain but also made a call at Copenhagen where the Tzar and other royalty were received on board. In service she replaced the Kinfauns Castle and was deployed on the Intermediate run and as a relief mailship.
She was probably best known for a cruise she undertook to Norway and Sweden shortly after her delivery in September 1883.
Her owner, Sir Donald Currie, entertained 29 members of Europe's royal families, as well as Prime Minister Gladstone and Alfred Lord Tennyson, on board.
Gladstone received a royal reprimand from Queen Victoria for his part in the affair, since he had not first sought her permission to absent himself from his office.
In June 1901 she was used as a coastal passenger and mailship following the loss of the Tantallon Castle.
She was sold to the Turkish Government in 1906 and renamed Bezmi-Alem for use as a Black Sea and consular passenger ship to Trabzon.
The Pembroke Castle made only one round trip to the Cape.
In August 1915 she was sunk by Russian warships off Samsoun in Turkey