Completed in August 1936 as motor passenger ship for Union-Castle Mail SS Co Ltd, London. On 7 Sep, 1939, requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to the armed merchant cruiser HMS Dunvegan Castle until 20 December.
Notes on loss
At 21.47 hours on 27 Aug, 1940, HMS Dunvegan Castle (Capt H. Ardill (retired), RN), escorting convoy SL-43, was hit aft of the bridge by one torpedo from U-46 about 120 miles southwest of Cape Clear. As the ship continued, the U-boat fired two further torpedoes at 22.12 and 22.51 hours, which hit the engine room and just before the bridge. The vessel stopped, caught fire and foundered the next day in 54°54N/11°W. Three officers and 24 ratings were lost. The commander and 249 crew members (twelve of them wounded) were picked up by HMS Harvester (H 19) (LtCdr M. Thornton, RN) and HMS Primrose (K 91) and landed in Scotland.
We have listing of 31 people who were on this vessel
DUNVEGAN CASTLE (2) was built in 1936 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 15007grt, a length of 560ft, a beam of 71ft 9in and a service speed of 17 knots.
Sister of the Dunnottar Castle she was initially deployed on the mail run while other ships were being rebuilt.
In September 1939 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted into an Armed Merchant Merchant cruiser.
On 27th August 1940 at 21.47 hrs she was torpedoed by U-46 off western Ireland while escorting a convoy to Freetown with the loss of 27 lives.
She sank early on the following morning and the 250 survivors were taken to Scotland.