Dover Castle (2)
Dover Castle was built by Barclay Curle & Company Glasgow, Yard No 443, in 1904 and launched 4th february 1904.
Her propulsion was steam, quadruple expansion engines, 969 nhp, 14.5 knots. She was built as a Passenger/Cargo Vessel for Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co Ltd, London with tonnage of 8,271.
She was converted to a hospital ship in World War 1 becoming HMHS Dover Castle.
She was sunk by UC.67 on 26th May 1917, when 50 miles north of Bone on passage Malta for Gibraltar.
The first torpedo struck her, killing seven stokers. HMS CAMELON took off the wounded and crew.
Dover Castle's captain and a volunteer crew remained on board hoping they could save the ship but an hour later the sub struck again and she sank in three minutes.
Save for the stokers killed, everyone else was saved.