Garth Castle (2)
GARTH CASTLE (2) was built in 1910 by Barclay, Curle & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 7612grt, a length of 452ft 7in, a beam of 54ft 4in and a service speed of 13 knots.
Sister of the Grantully Castle she spent most of her career on the Intermediate service.
In 1915 she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy for use as a supply ship and moving naval personnel to places like Scapa Flow where they would join their ships.
She was later used as a hospital ship and on 24th June 1917, during a fleet inspection, the surgeons and nursing staff were presented to HM King George V.
She was broken up in 1939 .
From the British & Commonwealth Review, OCTOBER 1967:
Among the ships of the Union-Castle Line which were taken over by the authorities in the First World war was Garth Castle, which was converted into a hospital ship.
The photographs were sent to the magazine by pensioner Mr. W.E. Bayley who retired in October 1953 after 47 years service in the U-C Inward Freight Department, London.
While he served in the army in France during hostilities his brother was a member of the crew of Garth Castle.