Dar es Salaam (the Haven of Peace) is 45 nautical miles from Zanzibar and 1,003 miles from Beira.
Vessels enter a landlocked harbour through a narrow winding channel and anchor about half a mile off the town.
Dar es Salaam is the principal port of Tanganyika and the seat of Government.
The town as seen from the sea is exceptionally beautiful. The blue sea, white coral sand of the beaches, green slopes and tall graceful palm trees, combine to make a most striking view. Near the harbour entrance is the wreckage of a floating dock, sunk there by the Germans in 1914 to block the channel.
Dar es Salaam is one of the few towns on the East African Coast of recent origin. It was founded in 1862 by Seyyid Majid, Sultan of Zanzibar and was occupied by Dr Carl Peters, the German traveller, in 1887. A German imperial garrison was established in 1889 when Germany proclaimed a protectorate over what is now Tanganyika.
All differences between European powers regarding East African territory were settled by the Treaties of 1890 and 1891 wherein Great Britain, German and Italy came to an agreement regarding their claims. Boundaries were fixed; Heligoland was ceded by Britain to Germany; and the islands of Zanzibar and Pemba were placed under the protection of Great Britain.
Dar es Salaam was bombarded by the Royal Navy in January 1915; and was surrendered by the Germans on 4 September 1916.
Among the more important buildings are Government House and the Hospital. There is an interesting museum and attractive Botanical Gardens have been laid out between the Hospital and the town.
The Central Railway connects Dar es Salaam with Kigoma 780 miles away on the shores of Lake Tanganyika and Mwanza 768 miles distant, a port on Lake Victoria.
The town has its own African quarter, were coconut palmed avenues, interspersed here and there with clumps of mangoes, are lined with native-Built huts.
Native handicraft and curios such as carved wooden figures and bookrests may be purchased from shops in the town.
The principal exports are sisal, coffee, cotton, copra, groundnuts, beeswax, hides and skins.
Bagamoyo, 45 miles north-west of Dar es Salaam, was the terminus of the old slave caravan route to Lake Tanganyika. It was the starting point for several of the famous explorers’ expeditions into the interior, and was, for a short time prior to 1891, the capital of German East Africa.
“I remember the seaman's missions very well the padres of Mombasa and Dar es Salaam where ever so friendly and ever so happy in fact you could say they were very gay but they use to organise football matches and nights out.”