TYRIAN was built in 1890 by Day, Summers & Co. at Northam, Southampton with a tonnage of 1455grt, a length of 260ft 2in, a beam of 33ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots.
Completed in May 1890 she inaugurated to coastal passenger service and was suitably fitted out to accommodate the passengers transferring from the mail steamers.
She was sold to Howard, Smith & Co. of Melbourne in 1894 and 1914 became the Kiodo Maru No.16 when she was sold on to Kiodo Kisen Goshi Kaisya of Darien. The name was later spelt as Kyodo.
On 14th November 1938 she caught fire off Tsingtao and was subsequently beached and broken up there.