NATAL (1) was built in 1865 by Day Summers & Co. at Northam, Southampton with a tonnage of 618grt, a length of 205ft 11in, a beam of 27ft 10in and a service speed of 9 knots.
She was built for the South African coastal service where she remained until 1883 when she was sold to Trinder, Anderson & Co. of London, retaining her name. In 1888 she was sold to Goh Siam Swee of Bangkok who retained her name until 1890 when it was changed to Srie Bandjar.
She was sold to G. Urrutia & Co. of Manila in 1899 and renamed Alava. On 29th September she was lost after grounding at Cavite in the Philippines.