ASIATIC was built in 1872 by Whitehaven Ship Building Co. at Whitehaven with a tonnage of 2087grt, a length of 299ft 11in, a beam of 34ft 2in and a service speed of 12 knots.
Sister of Elder Dempster's Nigreta she was delivered for the mail run in September 1872.
In 1880 she was relegated to the Intermediate service after being replaced by the Trojan. She was sold to H. Martini of Southampton in 1888 but retained her name until 1891 when she was sold on to G. Tweedy & Co. of London who renamed her Jaffar.
In 1893 she was sold to P. W. Richardson of London with whom she remained until 1895 when she was scrapped.