ARDTORNISH CASTLE/HAWARDEN CASTLE was built in 1883 by John Elder & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 4341grt, a length of 380ft 7in, a beam of 48ft 2in and a service speed of 12 knots.
Although advertised as the Ardtornish Castle she was renamed Hawarden (pronounced 'Harden') Castle after the Prime Minister William Gladstone's estate in North Wales.
Launched by Mrs. Gladstone she was Donald Currie's largest ship at that time. Delivered for the mail run the class of three vessels were heavy rollers in a cross sea.
On 8th February 1893 she towed the Aberdeen Line's Sophocles into Cape Town after she had lost her propeller when four days out of port.
She transferred to Union-Castle in 8th March 1900 and in 1904 was sold to Booth Line of Liverpool and renamed Cyril (2).
On 5th September 1905 she was lost below Para in the River Amazon after being in collision with Booth's Anselm.
As Booth Line’s Cyril