She was built in 1897 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 6287grt, a length of 430ft, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 12.5 knots.
She was part of the convoy from Capetown carrying the British Garrison, with their families, 27th August 1914, and on 20th October 1914 she was commissioned as a hospital ship with 408 beds.
HMHS Goorkha was mined on the 10th October 1917 off Malta. There were 362 survivors on board, including 17 nursing sisters. The vessel was cleared within 35 minutes and there were no casualties.
She was subsequently towed into the Malta Harbour where on 18th October she was decommissioned and returned to the company for repairs and resumption of commercial services.
She was laid up at Netley, Southampton Water in 1926 and eventually broken up by Thos. W. Ward in 1928.
In August 1914 she became a troopship and took part in the famous six ship Union-Castle convoy which brought 4000 troops to Europe.