Rowallan Castle (1)
ROWALLAN CASTLE (1) was built in 1939 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 7798grt, a length of 474ft 2in, a beam of 63ft 4in and a service speed of 15 knots.
When she was delivered on 11th March 1939 Harland & Wolff recorded a loss of £30,000 on the building of the last two vessels of the class.
On 14th February 1942, while participating in convoy MW 9B from Alexandria to Malta, she was bombed by German aircraft and reduced to a hulk.
She was taken in tow by the destroyer HMS Zulu but as she was clearly settling in the water Admiral Cunningham ordered her to be sunk.