Roxburgh Castle (1)
ROXBURGH CASTLE (1) was built in 1937 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 7801grt, a length of 474ft 2in, a beam of 63ft 4in and a service speed of 15 knots.
Sister of the Rochester Castle she was delivered on 26th June 1937 for the soft fruit trade.
On 21/22 December 1940 she was damaged by bombs during a night attack on Liverpool as was the Llangibby Castle.
In the following year, on 4th May, she was again damaged by bombs during an air raid on Liverpool.
On 22nd February 1943 she was torpedoed by U-107 off Ferraria Point in the Azores in position 38.12N 26.22W whilst sailing independently of any convoy which ships of with this speed capability frequently did.
Date of attack
22 Feb 1943
Sunk by U-107 (Harald Gelhaus)
Position 38.12N, 26.22W - Grid CE 6837
64 (0 dead and 64 survivors).
Glasgow - Buenos Aires
1030 tons of chemicals and mail
Notes on loss
At 08.28 hours on 22 Feb, 1943, the unescorted Roxburgh Castle (Master George Henry Mayhew) was hit by one of three torpedoes from U-107 after being chased for five hours between the islands of Terceira and Saõ Miguel in the Azores. She sank by the bow after a coup de grâce hit at 09.12 hours. The survivors were questioned by the Germans before they left the area. The master, 55 crew members and eight gunners landed at Ponta Delgada, Azores and were taken to Lisbon by the Portuguese steam passenger ship Serpa Pino.
We have listing of 1 person who was on this vessel