Stirling Castle (1)


STIRLING CASTLE (1) was built in 1863 by Robert Napier & Sons at Glasgow as a three masted ship with a tonnage of 1168grt, a length of 200ft 7in, and a beam of 33ft 8in.

She was Donald Currie's first 'Castle' and traded on the Liverpool - India - East Indies route. One of nine sisters who were referred to as the 'Calcutta Castles', the use of sailing ships beyond Cape Town was still preferable as the high cost of coal made cargo steamers uneconomical.

In 1865 she was transferred to the London - Calcutta run until 1875 when she was sold following a management decision to concentrate on the Cape trade.

Castle Line Home Page
Previous Page Next Page Home Page   The Group Register