Grantully Castle (1)
GRANTULLY CASTLE (1) was built in 1879 by Barclay, Curle & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 3489grt, a length of 359ft 7in, a beam of 43ft 10in and a service speed of 12 knots.
Sister of the Kinfauns Castle she was built in iron rather than steel and joined the mail run in January 1880.
In 1888 she became the first Castle ship to be fitted with refrigeration for fruit and carried 30 tons of grapes packed in cork dust. She was sold to Booth Line in 1896 and renamed Augustine (2).
On 2nd October 1904 she rescued the crew of the Greek ship Clementine, owned by AG Vassiliadi of Syra, 24 miles west of Ushant.
She was sold for £8250 in August 1912 and broken up by Harris & Co. at Falmouth, Cornwall.
(Photo: Nautical Photo Agency)
There is an obvious discrepancy between dates of command and the date of sale to Booth Line