DOVER CASTLE (1) was built in 1872 by Barclay, Curle & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 2341grt, a length of 327ft 10in, a beam of 36ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots.
Delivered in January 1872 she was Donald Currie's first steamship and the first of two pairs of sisters built in parallel at Glasgow. Although intended for the London - Cape Town - Calcutta service she was, on completion, chartered to the Pacific Steam Navigation Co. and undertook her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Callao in Peru via Cape Horn.
A call at Cape Town was scheduled but a sufficient number of PSNC passengers made the visit unecessary. On the return voyage from Callao to Liverpool in the following July she caught fire near Coquimbo in Chile and was scuttled. Consequently she never saw service with the Castle Line.