WALMER CASTLE (1) was built in 1872 by Barclay, Curle & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 2446grt, a length of 327ft 10in, a beam of 36ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots.
Completed in April 1872 she was actually the second steamship to enter service after the Edinburgh Castle and was deployed on the London - Calcutta - China service returning with tea.
She was transferred to Donald Currie's Castle Mail Steam Packets Co. Ltd in 1876 and in 1879 was placed on the Intermediate service after a spell as an 'extra steamer' on the mail run.
In 1880 she was sold to the Marques de Campo of Cadiz and renamed Valencia. As he held the mail contract between Cadiz and Manila in the Philippines she was placed on that service and was operated by his Compania General de Tabacos de Filipinas.
She was taken over with the other three 'Tabacos' steamers in 1884 when the mail contract was acquired by Cia Trasatlantica Espanoles, retaining her name and operating the same service.
She finally ended her career in 1889 when she was sunk following a collision in the North Sea.