CARLISLE CASTLE was built in 1913 by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co at Newcastle with a tonnage of 4325grt, a length of 400ft, a beam of 53ft and a service speed of 10 knots.
She was built as the Holtye for F. S. Holland & Co. and purchased by Union-Castle in 1915 who renamed her Carlisle Castle.
On 14th February 1918 during a voyage from Portland, Maine to London with grain and general cargo, she was torpedoed by UB-57 near to the Royal Sovereign lightship in the English Channel.
Amazingly, six weeks later, the UB-57 sank Blue Star's Broderick which settled on top and across the wreck of the Carlisle Castle.
The following names are listed at the
Merchant Navy Memorial at Tower Hill